Today I read an article “Quality Management Best Practices”. What I have noticed and consider for very important in this article
- According to the Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute, “Data indicate that 60-80% of the cost of software development is in rework”
- Definition of “quality-driven delivery” which depends on risk exposure , time, and competition with other companies
- Quality management goal is fast reduction of risk not testing
Best practices for reducing risk
- Drive testing from requirements
- Reduce planning overhead with collaborative quality management
- Prioritize testing according to risk
- Integrate testing and quality management to improve accuracy and repeatability.
- Automate reporting to improve efficiency, consistency and decision making.
- Improve efficiency by applying smart defect management to eliminate duplicates.
If 60-80% of the cost of software development is in rework, I do not think that software quality is accepted from all software engineers.